Phelps Barn, late 1890s - Simsbury
This multi-purpose barn was built for Jeffery O. Phelps II in the late 1890s to keep the carriages and matched horses owned by the Phelps family. It was built after a large fire in September of 1896 destroyed the five-barn complex located closer to Phelps Lane. This barn includes two box stalls and a harness room on the left and space for the carriages on the right. The hayloft overhead was probably used for storage in addition to hay. The rear addition with bark-covered rafters was built by the Historical Society in the 1960s to house the 19th century peddler’s wagon used by Lucius Bigelow. The wood floor, stairs to the hayloft and hayloft opening are also modern additions.
The Phelps Barn is on its original location. It was acquired by the Simsbury Historical Society in 1962 as part of the donation made by Mary (Ensign) Lovejoy, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Phelps) Ensign and granddaughter of Jeffery O. Phelps, II.
Simsbury Historical Society
800 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury, CT 06070